Identifying opportunities for student placements in a private practice context
A sound understanding of potential costs and benefits associated with taking students on clinical placement is important when considering a private practice placement. Resources that consider the costs and benefits for undergraduate clinical placements include:
- Sax Institute (2015) Evidence Check: The costs and benefits of providing undergraduate student clinical placements costs and benefits of supervising undergraduate student clinical placements
- McBride etal (2018) Allied health pre-entry student clinical placement capacity: can it be sustained?
- ClinEdAus – Deciding to offer a clinical education placement
Working with students in private practice can provide benefits for you as a practitioner as well as your organisation. The following are links to some observed profession-specific benefits associated with student placements in private practice:
- Rorke, L (2005) “Clinical Education in Private Practice – creating win-win-win for students, universities and private practitioners” [Discussion paper] Queensland Occupational Therapy Fieldwork Collaborative, Australia.
- Clinical Education Managers of Australia and New Zealand (CEMANZ) committee (2018) Physiotherapy student clinical placements: A guide for private practice providers. Accessed September 2019 from https://australian.physio/sites/default/files/Physiotherapy_student_clinical_placements.pdf
- Occupational Therapy Education Collaborative Queensland (2016) Offering Private Practice Placements. Accessed September 2019 from: https://otpecq.group.uq.edu.au/resources-publications/private-practice-placements/offering-private-practice-placements
- Kauffman, T, Maloney, P and Schoo, A. (2013) Working in Private Practice. In Stagnitti, K., Schoo, A., & Welch, D. (Eds). Clinical and fieldwork placement in the health professions. (2nd edition). Melbourne, Australia: Oxford University Press.
- Ontario Council of University Programs in Rehabilitation Sciences (OCUPRS) Academic Coordinators of Clinical Education/Directors of Clinical Education (2013). Strategies for building clinical placements in private practice. Retrieved from: https://docs.google.com/a/griffith.edu.au/document/d/1bLnxpCojV9hPYjq7pmbqiM7SNvoJK5pIVm94sYQgNpk/edit