Interprofessional education (IPE) is any occasion where two or more professionals learn with, from or about each other to improve collaboration and the quality of care (CAIPE, 2002).
Interprofessional Education can:
- develop the ability to share knowledge and skills collaboratively
- enable students to become competent in teamwork
- decompartmentalise curricula
- integrate new skills and areas of knowledge
- ease interprofessional communication
- generate new roles
- promote interprofessional research
- improve understanding and cooperation between educational and research institutions
- permit collective consideration of resource allocation according to need
- ensure consistency in curriculum design
(World Health Organisation, 1988, p. 16 –17)
In this video Antoinette Fitzgerald, an Advanced (Clinical Specialist) Occupational Therapist with Queensland Health's Child Development Program, explains how interprofessional clinical education works within their multidisciplinary team.
Clinical educator and student perspectives of interprofessional clinical education placements within the Institute for Urban Indigenous Health are described in this video.
In your own words describe what is meant by interprofessional practice. Can you think of an example from your own experience where an interprofessional approach to care was provided? In thinking about this example, identify:
a) who was involved b) why was this approach used c) what were the benefits of using this approach d) what challenges were associated with this approach
Centre for the Advancement of Interprofessional Education (CAIPE), (2002). Defining IPE. Retrieved from https://www.caipe.org/about-us
Stone, N. (2013). Interprofessional Learning in the Field: Multidisciplinary Teamwork. In Stagnitti, K., Schoo, A. & Welch, D. (Eds). Clinical and Fieldwork Placement in the Health Professions (2nd ed.)(pp.95-127). South Melbourne: Oxford University Press.
World Health Organisation (1988). Learning together to work together for health. Retrieved from the World Health Organization, Geneva: http://whqlibdoc.who.int/trs/WHO_TRS_769.pdf