Resources to support students in particular practice contexts working with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples
- Queensland health has developed 'Sad news, sorry business: Guidelines for the caring for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people through death and dying' and the 'patient care guideline' to support health workers provide culturally and clinically responsive care to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. At this site, there are also links to advanced care planning and other aged care resources targeting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.
- Dementia Australia provides an excellent collection of resources and publications about dementia in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples. Their 'Publication' section contains a link to a useful briefing paper, ‘Working with older Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people’ (2013). It explores working in a respectful and culturally sensitive manner.
- O'Brien AP, Bloomer MJ, McGrath P, Clark K, Martin T, Lock M, Pidcock T, van der Riet P, O'Connor M. (2013) Considering Aboriginal palliative care models: The challenges for mainstream services. Rural and Remote Health, 13, 2339.
- Waugh, E. & Mackenzie, L. (2011). Ageing well from an urban Indigenous Australian perspective. Australian Occupational Therapy Journal, 8(1), 25-33. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1440-1630.2010.00914.x
- Guidelines for providing Mental Health First Aid to an Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Person - these guidelines provide a general set of recommendations about how you can help an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person who may be experiencing a mental illness or developing a mental health crisis.
- Australian Indigenous Mental Health - This website aims to increase understanding about Aboriginal and Torres Strait mental health issues. It was developed by the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Mental Health Committee of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists (RANZCP) and beyondblue: the national depression initiative.
- ClinEdAus - student tutorial on Mental Health in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health settings
Schools and Education
- Resources to support students attending clinical placement within schools and education can be found at the Government Initiatives and Policy page